Saturday, November 14, 2015

Kathy Kelley :: Project Ideation :: Stumbling into my own amalgamated engendered identity

My project this semester is composed of residual traces of the past couple of months as I have continued head-on run into my own amalgamated resolving feminine identity. I am in the process of codifying it more textually for this class but the current traces are located http://kathykelley.us/tag/art-5364/




This semester http:
(1) I finished the realization of a series of installation artworks hinging on domesticity and femininity via an exhibition at LHUCA.
i dissolve these fabricated seatings 2015.

archiving the distentions of memory
[not to scale].  2015

in the space of absence. 2008-2015
[and my mental title:
my meat locker of 9' desiccated but sumptuous va-jjs]
(2) Presented my in process findings of engendered differences in the practice of language by female visual artists as compared to the general public and male artists. Though I have put this together for verbal presentation, I have yet to flesh it out as a formal paper. Perhaps what I should focus on for this class.
(3) Built the website http://onesownfemininity.com and initiated the call for literary works for an interdisciplinary project that was a reaction to a late call last spring for grant funding under the title of Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. And so I move along in this independent project which will be exhibited in April 2016.  
ABBREVIATED PROJECT DESCRIPTION The interdisciplinary grant title, Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear, called to mind the fact (or at least based on my unlimbered capacity and imaginings) that a female can only see herself, her physical sexual specificity, with some form of reflecting device. Gender understandings seem to be culturally constitutive and core to our identities, more so than we would like to believe possible. This performative reading project collaboratively explores the female’s first encounter with her own femininity. It is our intent to work fluidly between physical space (visual art/installation), textual/literary space (flash creative nonfiction/confessional poetry), and liminal space (theatrical direction, contemplative somatic movement, aural exploration/interpretation) and body.  http://onesownfemininity.com 

 (4) And though for another class yet spurred on by my independent research and our course readings, I am experimenting with looking for parallels in engendered textual and spoken language practices as they compare to artistic visual vocabularies. And to make this a manageable exercise, ha, I have chosen Agnes Martin, who both wrote and painted and claimed "I am not a woman," to look for performative traces of femininity in her paintings as compared to her male counterparts.



 



10 comments:

  1. Kathyrn-

    Why all the pink? I think you are exploring some very interesting territory here. Over the last year, I have noticed that reading the accompanying text to an exhibition, especially a conceptual piece, has indeed increased my understanding of, and connection to that exhibit. I look forward to seeing your performances in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Holly! it was good to meet you in person on saturday!

      Delete
  2. I think this is great! I especially love your identification for research on:
    " experimenting with looking for parallels in engendered textual and spoken language practices as they compare to artistic visual vocabularies."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, please put gaildentler@gmail.com on your invitation list for this exhibit!

      Delete
  3. I know I mentioned this earlier in the class, but I really love the materiality and scale or your work. It's very daring and I can only imagine how impactful it must be in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would love to see your work in person to be able to walk around it and be in it. Also love the "objects in the mirror are closure than they appear" I didnt go through the whole website BUT i am going back for more for sure!
    why all the pink? i think that was a subconscious thing when we think of feminine colors we think of pink, reds, etch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. about the mirror quote that makes me want to create art or even journal about that quote... how I can look in a mirror at myself but still feel far away

      Delete