Saturday, September 5, 2015

week 2 image supplement for the unpacking of my inner self through objects (kathy)

this is the work i unpacked for exhibition that opened last night (it is also on view today, the 12th and 19th. there will be an artist talk on the 19th)

the archiving of memory distentions (not to scale)

process shot. the big distention was sewn in place. the rest of my balls I had help hauling in to the space. yes, i understand the ambiguous gender implications of this. ha. My three big balls (yes three) range from 6' in diameter to 10'. For a sense of scale, the room is 119 feet by 50 and the steel girders meets the all around 12 feet.





i dissolve these fabricated seatings (monsters in the attic)




in the space of absences
(20 nine foot vagina carcasses hung like a meat locker).





9 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this. I wish I had the opportunity to explore the materiality better. I have been planning on venturing into installation, I'm just not sure what it will look like yet. I've really just fallen in love with installation, especially interactive installations, since seeing Ernesto Nieto at the Nasher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambitious work,what materials are used?Where is the exhibit?how long did it take to set up?I am curator of our exhibition space at Howard Payne University and I know how time consuming it can be.Do you have an artist statement?Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Materials = trash. The table and chairs and green frames are composed out of deconstructed old doors (domestic thresholds. the black stuff is rubber sheeting removed from roofs (water proofing), much of the canvas I peeled off the back of the rubber sheeting. the tall carcasses hung like a meat locker is from soft 4'x3'x1" foam. all urban waste.

      the large ball the merges into the wall took three weeks to assemble on site. The Lubbock LHUCA gallery let me in the warehouse about a month before the opening. But generally my installs take 3 days if I have some help.

      have to work up statement still for this show. have artist talk in the gallery space on the 19th. so one shall soon follow.

      Delete
  3. WOW! I'm in awe - this is really great! I love that you use recycled found material - another example of artists seeing beyond the norm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the show Kathy... I love how organic, grotesque, and sexual your work is. Had a great time.

    PS Go big or go home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That PS phrase did come to mind as I worked.

      ha. isn't it funny that i take the grotesque and sexual label on my work as an absolute compliment. Of course that was how it you intended it, but i still am entertained and really probably don't know why working that way appeals to me.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Kathryn! Fantastic work! I plan to view it on the 12th or 19th. Looking forward to it! Truly, this is spectacular. You must be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete