Hello everyone!
I apologize for *again* posting at the very last second, but here is my blog. In it, I'm exploring what it is like to be a woman in the military, and how opening up combat positions to women will change the military as we know it. I published these out of order, but as long as you read the introduction first, there is no particular order. I have two more that I'm putting the final touches on, but I wanted to get what I have available to everyone. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday break!
Women in the Military
I thought the statistic on male/female units effectiveness was interesting. I had heard it the other day on the radio. I wondered why you would judge the same skills for every unit to be combat effective. Why wouldn't we design units to handle slightly different functions. One of the issues that came up in the radio interview was that women were very useful in interacting with the female population in a country where women not allowed to communicate with men. I wonder if there are other combat roles that women would be more effective at? In a childish term, I think of it like those silly video games I used to play where you could train troops and send them to invade some other land. Each troop had it's different abilities and you would have to choose how much of each troop to send to deal with the specific defenses. I wonder if there is a "one size fits all," approach to training our troops, and if so, is that the best strategy. I obviously do not know enough to even guess at the answer. There must be many situations though where being a female has definitive advantage in combat.
ReplyDeleteJustin-
DeleteThat is a very excellent way to look at this issue. During WWII, the Russian military had exactly the same idea that women might be better suited for some missions, and men would be better suited for others, and had special units for just women. Like most countries, after the war was over, many of these positions became closed to women once more, eventually pushing the number of women serving in the military to just 10%, where it still is today. Other countries like Denmark, have allowed their women into traditionally male combat roles since 1978, but women still make up a very small minority in the armed forces. Is this because we are trying to fit a square into a round hole? But, some militaries, like the Kurdish PKJ, allow women into combat positions because of their unique ability to go where men are culturally forbidden.
Like you, I think we could be pleasantly surprised by the results if we follow the lead of nations like the Kurds and find the positions that will bring out the best in everyone who enlists, both men and women.
So fascinating! I have been doing a lot of research into the history of Israel, and gender in Israeli society - and your comments on women in their military was really interesting to me. I have read about women in the Israeli military and their dynamic was represented in a number of ways: as soldiers themselves, mothers of soldiers, at-home soldiers, nation mothers, etc. The question of women in military and what that means and represents is fascinating, and I loved your analysis and personal perspective. I think women in military (U.S. and Israel) have to be and do multiple things at once, represent multiple things at once. They are in turn represented in a number of ways. I think with the recent news of women being recognized in the combative roles is a step in the right direction, but there is more to be done.
ReplyDeleteKimberly-
DeleteFirst off, now you've gone and done it. I will start hounding you for your insight to Israeli women in the military!!! :D
And second, you're absolutely right. There is a much deeper element to women serving in the military when you consider domestic aspects like having children and then leaving them for long deployments and field exercises. That's one of the things that fascinates me about this issue, how are women handling this in other countries? The IDF is particularly interesting to me because of the big public relations push to bring women in combat to the front headlines. Are they truly interested in what their women have to offer them on the front lines? Or are their leaders simply experiencing the politico pressure that American military leaders are facing right now?
I think on one level it stemmed from the kibbutz, women were integrated workers there (from domestic, to field hands, leaders, and more) and in a sense having the women on the field set them apart. In Russia too women were and are in the military. I have a book on Russian female pilots during WWII, called "Wings, Women, & War". Super interesting! And I had a book (it got lost in a move) on female spies during WWII too. Women have played a variety of roles in recent (and not so recent) military history, but it is often times over looked. Let me root around some of my folders, I know I have something on women in Israeli military, I read a dissertation or thesis on it sometime last Spring. You may be interested in it.
DeleteFirst Holley, this is a great topic to be exploring. Especailly as, here in the US, relavent discussions about when in combat situations and promotion. Second, I too appreciate this deeper element of women who serve in the military including the exporation of duality.
ReplyDeleteLike motherhood, that I explore, women seem to be incredibly multifaceted, beyond what I could have imagined. It is also interresting to look at the semantics of your research. "The Women Who Serve". Women have been serving forwever... as mothers, maids, cooks, wives, etc. But here you examine serving one's country. Though a noble method of serving, women have heard uncle sam's call to serve their nation over a pot roast. Why can't I defend my family, my country, my rights, and be appreciated and promoted for it equal to men. Great project. You should pursue this!
Thank you Katharine! I had not even stopped to think of the multiple connections for the term "serve", but you opened my eyes up to new possible ways of looking at this. We have been serving forever as women, and I can attest to that personally from my own life before I even joined the military. Very cool though, I will pursue it, thanks!
DeleteIronically my father and i were talking about this last night. He was a marine for 7 years and as you know I was just a AF spouse for 8 years but had a lot of active AF military male and female FAMILY (friends). I was close myself to joining in 2012 but after a divorce the death of my grandparents and having a child it wasn't right for me to leave my kid behind. The one thing that worries us for females being in infantry positions is what you quoted "Others, like retired Army Lieutenant Colonel and author Robert Maginnis, believe that additionally the already serious problem of sexual misconduct and assault will only increase as women join infantry units" Before I went to take the AFOQT a lot of my friends would tell me they would worry if I did go in and being deployed because a lot of the sexual assaults that was happening. It is sad that this is going on and hardly any light has been shined on it. Like Doughlas mentions in her book being a female in a world where media helps keeps these stereotypes about us it is hard to prove yourself and your strength in a mostly male dominated world.
ReplyDeleteI do want to take some time to thank you for your service and sacrifices you have given to our country.
Candice- Thank you!
DeleteI have some friends from my time in the military that were wives, and I absolutely adored them and respected their place in my unit. There were times that I could see that the wives had a bigger burden to bear than we did during deployments. The wives were expected to keep everything running smoothly while we deployed, and then go back to how it was before once we returned. Once again, those outside expectations putting us in an uncomfortable position.
Excellent work, Holley. Your projects are always very interesting. It inspired some great comments, too. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHolley - well I'm late in replying but this is great! Especially in lue of media announcing women in combat...you will be able to tell a first hand account. I love that your blog is defining women in new territories but helping them to embrace their gifts that are different then mens. Taking the fight out of it that causes the devision between women and men but putting it into a format that embraces the strength of women! Your work is inspiring Holley!
ReplyDeletethank you Gail!! :) I think that focusing on the problems that we have as women integrating into the military will only help those problems grow larger and more complicated as more people get involved. Like you said, if we just embrace the things that make us stronger, better versions of ourselves, there's no limit to what we could do, men and women alike.
DeleteHello Holley,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post as to women in the military and the new combat roles women will play in the future.I have taught many active duty and veterans of all branches at Ft. Hood.One woman soldier expressed" i can change a truck engine out in short order!"Of course she was a mechanic and yet at any moment everyone may have to fight.One of my big concerns has been cases of and the element of molestation and rape from not only our side, but that of the enemy in case of capture.We can't ignore that this has happened and should be a part of the dialogue.I am sure this is carefully reviewed in training.One the Israeli side,my son had spent 6 months in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.He noted that he had seen women in the Israeli army and everyone on certain streets brandishing an AK 47/M 16,even rabbi's!This is part of their existence.I have been proud to have taught soldiers and shared with them art appreciation.They are drawn to aesthetics and beauty after experiencing so much trauma in the field!On a closing note one woman army veteran has had so many medical problems from her past deployments.She has recovered from 2 strokes and yet it has left a great toll on her body and energy levels! She moves like an 80 year old, but is only 55.Her retention ability is very low, but she passed my class and counts her blessings daily!Thanks for your most important post!