Week Seven: October 7-13: Topless Cellist: Pages 141-212
This
week, we get to what I find to be the best parts of Topless Cellist. Chapters 14 and 15 specifically are interesting
for what they say about the opinions of some during this decade that the nude
female body playing a cello can be beautiful, but it cannot be “high art.” This
reminds me of issues of postwar masculinity. We know from texts like Men
in the Middle: Searching for Masculinity in the 1950s and All
Man! that the postwar era endured what historians called “male
panic”—a crisis of masculinity—as men returned home from the war to a
“confusing new world” of women, children, suburbanization, consumer conformity,
and mass consumption. It is the reason we find a prevalence of fifties men’s
magazines that look like this:
Television was dominated by bumbling fathers like Ozzie
Nelson, who struggled to learn the same lessons each week over and over, and
historians claim that men responded by searching for “hyper-masculinized”
versions of manhood. Even beyond this, though, popular culture of the era sought
to re-connect masculinity with “high art.” In
1956, Auguste Comte Spectorsky accepted the managing editor position for Playboy.
Disappointed that postwar culture no longer had a “masculine high culture,”
Spectorsky had new goals for Playboy magazine. Going beyond
merely bringing sophisticated cultural and artistic tastes to the magazine—for
example, by including modernist fiction (Hemingway, Faulkner, Joyce), poetry,
etc. alongside semi-nude spreads (integrating high and low brow to define
masculinity)— he wanted to re-masculinize high culture.
Through examples
such as the aforementioned men’s magazines, popular culture of the postwar era
regarded conformity, suburban life, and mass culture as feminizing and
degrading forces and consequently, constructed and sold a type of masculinity
that was sophisticated, culturally-savvy, and of good taste. The recipe for
this brand of manliness involved a solid familiarity with the world of “high
art.”
I can’t help but
think of these masculine/feminine binaries when I read Rothfuss. Charlotte’s
version of “high art” didn’t mesh with commonly-held ideas of “high art.” Page
202: “His (Judge Shalleck) opinion makes it clear that he was not offended by
toplessness. (Like Mayor Lindsey, he was clearly in favor of that.) Instead,
what Shalleck objected to was the defense’s claim that the topless performance
in Opera Sextronique was art . . .
The judge was an old man with old-fashioned ideas, and Moorman confused him. In
his experience, if a woman took her clothes off in front of an audience, a
striptease was in progress; alternatively, when a well-groomed young lady
appeared on stage in an evening gown with a cello, one could look forward to an
artistic experience of the highest order. Moorman didn’t deliver on either
promise.”
These are my
thoughts. What are yours?


**1 of 3 late postings for week 6 ((ugh, just awful, sorry))**
ReplyDeleteI had to actually go back and read a few chapters over again to decide whether or not my opinion of Charlotte would change if she had performed her pieces as a man instead of a woman. I am inclined to agree with Justin on this one in that I find her antics less remarkable if she were a man. The sentiment behind this opinion surprised me a bit, so I searched within myself to find out why.
First, I took an objective look at what made Moorman remarkable (or what I took notice of):
o Tenaciously seeking out opportunities with world renowned musicians to mentor her classic musical training
o Organizing solo debuts for unknown musicians and helping them launch careers.
o Organizing Avant-Garde performance festivals in order to expose a larger audience to the new music trends.
o Using her performances to challenge popular notions of sensuality, artistic expression, and puritanical oppression. (I am being lenient on this, as I see many of hers and Nam June Paik’s performances as a means of garnering as much attention to themselves as possible through shock value rather than bringing the audiences’ attention to an oppressive societal view.)
These are impressive undertakings, no doubt, but hardly out of the ordinary in the artistic world, even in Moorman’s day. According to press releases and friends’ recollections of her stories, Moorman was working as hard as she was to bring mainstream attention to the Avant Garde scene, but it seems to me as if she was just using it to indulge in her dramatic flair. I see the same motivations in her use of Avant Garde to metaphorically attack oppression. It just seems as though she is seeking attention in whatever venue she can find.
**2 of 3 late posts for week six: In response to Courtney Tyler's questions on "What is it about female nudity that, simply by baring our feminine parts, we become 'art' ?"**
ReplyDeleteCourtney-
Although my post is late, I feel it is well timed with your questions on female nudity and empowerment from last week’s post, because I have recently started following the “Free The Nipple” movement with some interest. For those of you who may not have heard about this movement, the supporters are seeking to change the laws that prevent women from baring their breasts in public places like beaches, parks, or any other establishments that do not have dress code requirements. They are attempting to equalize the perceptions that men and women have when it comes to their nude bodies. A topless man will scarcely raise an eyebrow in public, whereas a woman may be forced to register as a sex offender for publicly going topless in some states. In an effort to help society see how woefully imbalanced this standard of modesty is, these women have taken to both local and online protests, baring their breasts with varying pasties or tape covering their nipples and areolas. They hope to desexualize women’s breasts by baring them unabashedly in public and challenging both men and women to change their opinions of seeing breasts in a sexual way.
Now, with all that said, let me tell you why I am completely against this movement. Well, not completely. I agree with these women on identifying the problem that women’s bodies are hyper sexualized in our country. I also agree that in some contexts like breastfeeding, adult pools or beaches, this kind of shameless freedom would be great! However, I do not believe that overwhelming the masses with uncensored pictures of women’s breasts and then forcing us to “deal with it” is a cooperative way to stop objectifying women’s bodies. Nor do I think that like in Moorman’s case (and countless others) that the "baptism of nudity" should automatically make something artistic and “edgy”. How does baring my breasts in public empower me as a woman? How does it empower my art? Or is it perhaps one more “sure-fire” element that will help make your concept controversial and garner the attention that might have gone to Kim Kardashian that week?
Also, I wonder if the male reaction to breasts is instinctual or learned. If it is instinctual and hardwired into our DNA, then running around breasts exposed will never lead to the desired results. Also, I don’t know that it is acceptable for women (or men) to be walking around in public spaces undressed. Not to be too “cranky old man” up in this blog, but yoga pants drive me insane. I will be in the grocery store with my kid, having a cutesy family moment, when someone will come walking down the aisle in yoga pants and a glorified sports bra. All of a sudden, without warning, I know the entire makeup of this woman’s anatomy. It’s information I don’t want or need. I just want to get some milk and eggs to make pancakes and I’m stuck standing in line knowing, for the most part, what the person in front of me looks like naked. To be fair, I feel the same way about those guys in the Lance Armstrong outfits, but that is much less socially acceptable. I am surrounded by woman in yoga pants and sports tops everywhere I go in Dallas.
DeleteYes yes and yes. I agree with your stance Holley on the Free the Nipe movement. Even while breastfeeding my 1yr old in public (doing, what I feel, my breasts were intended for), I show less cleavage that most evenin dresses. And I'm not sure I've ver bared a nipple... And I'm pretty cofortable nursing in public. So I'm not sure who the Free the Nipple movement is really serving or if it's needed for my own empowerment.
Delete^sorry for the absurd amount of spelling errors in that post. I'm using my app on my phone to post while coaxing a toddler to sleep :/
DeleteI'm with you Courtney! I have no problem popping out a boob to breastfeed and if someone has a problem it's theirs.
DeleteI love Moorman'sbsimilar reaction to the Carson audience on page 143. "I would like it better if they understood what I'm doing and if they got real enjoyment from what I'm doing. But if they laugh out of embarrassment or lack of exposure that's really not my problem. I'm not going to go home and kill myself."
Justin I completely agree with you. I think of something incredibly sexy about covering up and something incredibly pure about nudity. My poor husband also walks around this world being berated by sex! In the mall, in the grocery store, at a restaurant in magazines, everywhere. I'm not a prude and I love the human form but I don't need to see yours and I specially don't need to see the overly sexed media driven fantasy.
DeleteA little more rant... It makes me so mad that we can put 1 million boobs in movies but put one penis in there and everyone freaks out.
DeleteKatharine and Justine, I appreciate your thoughts.40 years ago,I drove up from St. Louis to Chicago to visit the Art Institute of Chicago,my first time in second city.I was clad in the then popular army fatigue jacket from the Vietnam era,ironically the war had ended that year.I toured the painting facilities .Many female students were wearing paint spattered jeans and fur coats(now quite unfashionable) ;some had bras on others did not.This was at first shocking to me and yet progressive at the same time especially in the conservative mid-west irregardless of personal politics.The 1970's was the bastard step child of the 1960's in which many artists and the public were attempting to process the 1960's.I feel that 1960's avante guarde movements like Moorman's performances had surfaced to question previous assumptions about morality-art was the vehicle.A quote on p.198 stands out: "Paik is tweaking the nose of a hypocritical society in which sex was both fetishized and reviled".True for the time.In retrospect ,have we gone too far in what you guys have said " overly sexed media driven fantasy" ? There is today,also without sounding prudish, both pull back from this sexual openness and the other an in -your- face casual attitude.
DeleteI think there is also something to be said about location. Entering an art or performance space, you are opening yourself up to experience something. There should be an expectation, especially when dealing with something referring to itself as "Avant-garde," that you will experience something unknown and therefore should be prepared for anything. You have bought it and consented with your attendance. There is no consent in the public space. It is a space everyone has to coexist, and without going into the extremes, there should be some expectations for people to not feel offended or assaulted.
DeleteJustin, I completely agree about location. We cannot all have the same lens to view the world; there will be disagreements especially on sex and exposure. But having places where we respect differences and where we celebrate and explore with the "consent of the audience" I think is reasonable for our diverse society. I don't think Moorman should have been arrested in her space. However, much of her work seems to feed off of jarring the public and doing he unexpected. I'm all for surprises (especially in art) but now, in a a mulitcultural world--not just country--I think we have to respect public spaces.
DeleteI found the legal situation to be exactly what I would have expected. It was a little reminiscent of Camus’ The Stranger. In both, an individual is convicted for the perceived morality of the country rather than the letter of the law of the land.
ReplyDeleteI do find the thoughts about the “crisis of masculinity,” interesting. It seems, historically, the twentieth century is always in some crisis of masculinity. I always laugh at the cultural knee-jerk reaction to feminism that led us to the ultra-masculine physique of Stallone and Schwarzenegger and the swagger of the cowboy President. I wonder though if we aren’t at some strange new place where there is an actual masculine crisis instead of an imagined one. Nation wide, women are graduating from college at a much higher rate that is increasing every year. It won’t be long until the professional workforce is dominated by women. My AP Studio Art class only has one male student this year. Young men seem to think education, the arts, poetry, culinary, pretty much everything one could become passionate about is “gay,” or “for girls.” Masculinity has become so afraid of the expanding role of women and homosexuals that it seems to have retreated to a place where one is only allowed to play football and drink domestic beer.
On a slightly related note, there was a study recently stating that on college campuses with more men than women, men treated women with more respect and there was more serial dating. On campuses with more women, the school had more of a “hook up” culture where men treated women as disposable commodities. It seemed to fall along the lines of supply and demand. Less supply and higher demand affected the value and treatment of people in personal relationships. What happens when there are no interesting men in the world to balance the ever-growing supply of well-educated, professional women? As I raise my daughter to be an impassioned, sophisticated, driven young women, who is raising the young man complex enough to be her equal?
nice thoughts Justin.
Deleteinterestingly despite the shift in population of the % of females graduating with MFA's in art, (in 2006 it was a 50/50 m/f ratio, but I would guess your experience, Justin of 1 in X in art course work may be a national phenomena (well not the 1 in X but that females out number males in MFA programs, i have seen this in the courses have taught over the last 8 years in the undergraduate level.) Anyhow I will add an image from a slide form a paper i gave this past weekend...
it shows the stats for female solo exhibition (art) rates relative to their male counter parts for major art venues (2007-2014)
http://art5364fa2015.blogspot.com/2015/10/week-7-thinking-about-female-vs-male.html
I think a majority of the female students in my class are so multi-talented that most of them want to be doctors or something else silly like that, while the boys I have are more likely only to be good at art.
DeleteI absolutely agree with you with how much we have split apart various gender roles I feel like men and women have no idea how to act like themselves. We feel like we have to act like the various categories that had been stipulated. It's OK to be a little bit of everything. It is interesting how the confusion is dominated with masculinity Justin. My husband is well groomed, well dressed, Likes to get his nails done, is clean, likes to shoot guns, has a big beard, has a big truck, and melts at the site of his daughter. Some people mistake him for being gay. And yet I'm a woman, I'm well groomed, I'm in academia, I like to shoot guns, I wear Birkenstocks, I drive his big truck and no one even thinks I'm a lesbian?
DeleteI guess I always fall back to the thought that to be masculine is a biological trait. I am a man. It is a biological fact. I don't much understand how doing one thing or another could make me more or less of a man. It's written into my DNA. The concept of some arbitrary, ever-changing rules that would allow us to sort people on a sliding scale from more masculine to less just seems arbitrary and pointless.
DeleteI have always wondered where the labels that I assign myself and others come from. I drive a big truck and have a black pit bull, and I always wonder if other people are labeling me because we were taught that women were delicate, graceful yet vulnerable while men were cool, strong, and rakish. Are biological differences causing these complementary/conflicting characteristics while we humans simply observe it and give it a name? I find this hard to swallow considering the fact that our beliefs on gender "norms" seems to change with each successive generation. Who am I to say what is normal for men when I am still figuring out what I think is normal for myself? One contention that I have always had with third wave feminists is that although I consider myself a strong, independent woman, I love some of the characteristics that are "natural" to my gender, and I believe that every person should get to decide for his or her self what feels right.
Deleteweek 6 - kk
ReplyDeleteHa. I really think I laughed out loud when I read Carolee Schneemann's comment about the Judson Hall ruckus (as that of Moorman's)
"Schneemann says this kind of revisionism was typical of Moorman. 'You would have an immense disaster of some kind and she would tuck it under her skirts and move on.'"
Even if gently, it struck me as funny for Schneemann to bash Moorman with such a gendered metaphor (tuck it under her skirts).
I also just enjoy thinking about the contrasts and similarities between Schneemann and Moorman.
I made a post with images that the quote Dr H pulled out brought to my mind
ReplyDeletehttp://art5364fa2015.blogspot.com/2015/10/week-7-high-vs-low-brow-kathy.html
...what Shalleck objected to was the defense’s claim that the topless performance in Opera Sextronique was art . . . The judge was an old man with old-fashioned ideas, and Moorman confused him. In his experience, if a woman took her clothes off in front of an audience, a striptease was in progress; alternatively, when a well-groomed young lady appeared on stage in an evening gown with a cello, one could look forward to an artistic experience of the highest order. Moorman didn’t deliver on either promise. (202)
In reference to the male vs feminine issues in our culture - I agree that males are seen in tv as the "goofy Dad" especially on the Disney channel. My husband refuses to watch for that reason. Does the whip of the feminine mystique have the last laugh with more women becoming professional - is is trying to dominate the male role into a less significant role in society?
ReplyDeleteI think we definitely need to consider the fact that there are more women now. I mean there were always more women but now with all of these hormones in the water and what not there are just a lot more women. Or maybe our feminist fore mothers really did affect our mothers and therefore gave us more confidence. I mean it just was expected but I was going to go to college and it was a natural progression that I would go to grad school. Most of the women on my side of the family have bachelors degrees and or masters degrees.
DeleteKatharine :) ha. yes more male fish now female fish aren't get any representation either. ha. dang that undigested birth control pill estrogen leaking into our waterways! poor gender confused unrepresented fishes!
Deletesure my mom expected me to be more liberated than her, but the pressure to be independent, to be able to pull myself up by the bootstraps, came much more from my dad. we lived in the Washington DC area when women were getting their liberation on (though I was pretty small so i only carried about gilligan's island and star trek--two highly sexist tv shows...though i may have identified with Gilligan and spock the most--a logical goofball.
And yup, I've at least 5 generations back of college educated women in my family...though i think it had more to do with marrying for academic prestige over money...i shall not brag on that lineage since i did not get the physics, math or medical gene and since i didn't successfully marry for academic prestige now i have to do it myself with the my own PhD. Sigh, apparently that was the reason the marriage failed (snicker -- as though marriages fail over a signal variable).
I identify with what you both say - I'm a second generation of higher education myself. It is an expectation (of mine) for both my kids to go on to pursuing a masters. I'm not sure my son is ok with that - however - when he learned that you could get a phd in study of ferrel hogs he gave it a second thought. He's an avid hunter and agriculture business interest. That is why I say we have to encourage the male and female to embrace who they are fully...it just makes life better!
DeleteIt is crazy... In my office it is mostly woman like out of 30 we have like 4 men working their. I had a conversation with a co-worker when I started working there and she said the reason their were more woman was because we took less in pay.... but thats a different story I've also heard the reason for that is because women dont ask for more... I know I did and I am happy with my pay :o)
DeleteAbove is a pretty scary proposition! For the reason of neither side is embracing who they are! Perhaps - thats old fashion - but in relationships - my husband is a multitasker with a pretty busy pediatric office. I'm not a multitasker and have a very nurturing personality - so defying the feminine mystique - "our life as a married couple" - it worked out on a traditional level. I do have a head for business and we have both embraced who we are despite culture's need to dictate! My brother n law - is very much the opposite of my husband and it is his wife that works while he stayed home and pursued less career for raising their child - they embraced who they were together as aa couple - neither way bad just different roads.
ReplyDeleteGail I'm not very nurturing, I'm not very compassionate, in fact you could say that I am often the "man" in a relationship.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteGee Katharine - hope I didn't offend - sorry if I did. Maybe I didn't express my thoughts well!
DeleteOr maybe the more practical solution is to just remove the assumptions associated with gender altogether. When we have woman like Ronda Rousey and Kim Kardashian coexisting as women, why can't we feel comfortable with someone like Mikhail Baryshnikov being masculine symbol alongside Sylvester Stallone? Why does gender have to be defined or roles divided like pieces out of a pie?
DeleteI agree with Justin, we should remove assumptions. People are who they are - and not everyone conforms 100% all the time with the pre-determined gender roles, I know I don't conform to them all of the time. Like you said Gail, it is just different. We are all different and live our lives differently (and we, as women, have the opportunity to do so in part from the Feminist legacy). Relating back to Moorman, though, she was both going against the norm of gender roles at the time, but also using her gender as a shield (again saying Paik was in charge, etc.). In part this was, I feel, her playing with what is expected of her, and what is not. Though, I wish she owned her work enough to say it was hers and Paik's...not just his. The reality is that gender does not have to define us, but rather we have to define ourselves.
DeleteI understand what you're saying, Gail. I think in terms of claiming our independence to choose our "gender roles" that best suits us, we need to be cognizant of the fact that traditional roles work best for some couples. "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater", essentially, right? Embracing your right to choose traditional roles is just as important as my right to live single. Not all women want to go to work, and not all women want to have kids. Katharine, like you, there are some areas that I slip comfortably into the masculine role, like when I come home after a long day....DON'T TALK TO ME UNTIL I'M READY. I don't enjoy sitting and talking about my problems for hours on end. Give me 20 minutes to vent and then I'm done. Does that make me a man, or simply a more private person? Perhaps that's my biggest problem with both sides (traditional vs. 2nd/3rd wave feminism), who gets to choose what particular qualities are masculine? Feminine? What are the deciding factors that led to blue being traditionally thought of as a "boy" color?
DeleteInitially when I took Dr. Humphrey's seminar on visual cultures in the spring, I was put off by some of the female actors like Donna Reed and Jane Wyatt that perpetuated a simplistic view of the woman's role both in the household and outside of it. In the television series that we looked at, the mother character was typically involved behind the scenes in parenting, relying on the strong father to lay down the law. Additionally, any moves to find something meaningful outside the home generally led to disappointment or disaster. As I said, initially I was very put off by independent women in a male dominated world perpetuating the cultural myth that women's only place was in the home. The more I considered it, however, the more I realized that embracing a more temperate stance actually gives ALL women the freedom to choose whatever allows them to be the best version of themselves.
As for Mooreman, she had such a sense of adventure for the unexpected in her performances. She seemed willing to try anything. I found myself watching several of her video performances on you tube – watching her expression for some sense of understanding. The “precocious child” quote made me think about raising my own kids. In my “I” language, I had two types of kids –one that tested the boundaries and one that didn’t and accepted it. Now as they have grown and matured they have switched position and one tests and one doesn’t. Charlotte’s work tested the boundaries of the stage, sound and performance. I think she was very wrapped up in her intellect testing the perceptions of everyone involved with the performance – much like the era. I’m just not a fan of her method. Her “cut piece” performance really broke the “wall” between audience and performer. Is this needed for survival or growth in the art world? Would we have Motown, Eddie Van Halen, Heavy Metal, Seattle Scrunge or even heavy metal Christian music like Switchfoot if this exploration hadn’t taken place?
ReplyDeleteAs for her body – the freedom she felt, the vulnerability she embraced for her mission resembles much of what Holly references above. Again, would we have actors like Angelie Jolie, Madonna or Lady Gaga able to bring sensuality to the stage because as performers they are embracing their “self” within their work?
Page 158 stated this quote, “the unexpected is not a threat for Paik and Mooreman”; that is freedom I wish I had. I struggle with the unexpected and my expectation gets in the way of an intuitive process of working through my art.
I feel like I would respect her more if her perfomances were hers and hers alone in how she performed....much like the artist you mentioned madonna, lady gaga, angelie jolie they all have taken pride in who they are and what they do no matter what society says. I do admire her for having the guts to try anything but I wonder why these ideas didnt come from her from within? or did she have some ideas and just let Paik take/or give him the credit?
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1 of 2 Week 6 Post. Sigh, so late.
ReplyDeleteI was interested in the Fluxus movement, and politics of it, like David. I found the fact that some went so far as to picket at the festival interesting, even calling it “cultural imperialism.” But I found Moorman’s response even more interesting as noted in the text (page 100), “For her part, Moorman brushed off the attempted boycott. ‘We’re more concerned with our own artistic production than with answering their manifestos’.” I felt that this was another way of Moorman attempting to not be bound by restrictive definitions. I think it also indicates to her own drive. Yet, at the same time she apparently couldn’t take the full responsibility of her own work. She stood up for the festival, but used “our” instead of “my”. There is a distancing, and I feel that it is in part a means of preventing viewers from knowing the real her, a means of protecting herself.
I thought it was funny that some people thought it was part of the act and that some of the musicians were boycotting then went and preformed.
Delete2 of 2 Week 6.
ReplyDeleteSo, while I mentioned previously that she was distancing there was further evidence of this just a few pages later. As noted on page 105, “’He made me do it’ provided both permission and absolutism for her behavior.” It removed the responsibility of her action away from herself, and I wonder if this was because she didn’t want to seem too competitive, too independent, she already was independent enough to put on such an event, to create and clearly had ambition. What was she afraid of? Maybe this was another way to dodge labeling, or complete self identification, what I mean is maybe this was a way for her to deny what we might assume – that she was solely in charge. In sharing the responsibility maybe it allowed her to feel like she could push more, because she wasn’t out there alone, she was being “told to do it”. Doing something together is much safer than going alone, so maybe there was something to it. Yet, she also had someone to blame… maybe I am searching for something that is not there, maybe it was purely out of fear of being too much her own person. With this the quote, (page 108) "'She had no doubts'" made me stop. She did have doubts, at least early on, so maybe it should be "She had less doubts than most, pushed boundaries further than most, did something different compared to most." But, if she had no doubts why give that agency of idea over to a man as mentioned previously, "he made me do it"? Hmmmm.....many thoughts.
I think you're onto something there, Kimberly. When Moorman met Norman Seaman, she was mediating a union dispute settlement. He recalled being impressed by the way she "alternatively shamed and flattered" cooperation out of the two conflicting parties (45). I found this interesting when we first read this part, and I think it connects to her use of "people-handling" techniques to achieve her goals. As for your observation about using a third party to blame, there is freedom to push the boundaries, particularly if that person has more clout that you. Perhaps Moorman simply did not want to be accused of gratuitous exhibitionism in her performances; if people don't understand the high art concept, then she could always explain that her composers "made her do it".
DeleteHolley, yes! Having someone else there took the heat away from herself (until the court thing) and onto another. Maybe Moorman was completely aware of this, and used a chameleon approach in order to keep people, and judgment, at a distance.
DeleteMooreman’s research was very conceptual – the articulation of her idea suffices for a work of art. (Def of conceptual Art – Art Story.com) The audience was part of her process expanding on their connection to the work being presented. Looking at Mooreman’s style of “art as research” I begin to parallel Charlotte’s conceptual happening oriented research with my own style. I begin to understand the dialogue of dance and questioning more. For example, the concept of community keeps coming to my attention. I have been gravitating towards circles in my narrative – wondering if there is a pattern in the abstract I can explore further. As I look at patterns of nature I can see these circles forming the tree. So then I begin to look at my canvases and explore the space within – testing the narrative that exists. I don’t think my research is conceptual but more of a traditional method to define the space within. I use narratives to motivate my subject and dictate my choices. I choose the colors to articulate the narration. That is how I differ from Charlotte. This past weekend at the TASA conference I listened to Felice House talk about her Rewestern Series and how it evolved. I really liked her method of researching history of feminine heros in our cultures. Originally she turned to the women of the 2nd world war and repainted scenarios of women working this lead her to understanding the tension the feminine power brought and then created her current series of women positioned in male power positions of cinematography. I liked her process to understand the past, finding the tension that came from the unknown and creating her narrative that motivated her current series. Seems more of a “scientific approach” looking at history (concrete evidence) to define versus Charlotte’s responsorial testing of the particular audience with the results being perception versus data based.
ReplyDeleteGail, I too really enjoyed Felice House's unpacking of the history and moves she has made with her female hero series.
DeleteThinking about Felice vs Charlotte is like two different thinking processing styles, with Felice being ground in logic and the highly analytical and charlotte following the vein of a more spontaneous and communally driven connectivity of here "here and now." it is an interesting split. my guess is most of us tend fall to one side or the other with very few navigating the middle.
i lean toward the "here and now", the intuitive, but that is probably because i cannot remember the "then" long enough to analytical string of logic. :)
Gail,I remember author Camille Paglia's take on actor and director Ida Lupino.She was really ahead of her time when men dominated this industry.Film Noir was very popular in her era.She tackled social issues especially in her film "the Hitch-Hiker".As one movie historian stated: "Not only did Lupino take control of production, direction and screenplay, but each of her movies addresses the brutal repercussions of sexuality, independence and dependence"
DeleteI want to reflect on my coming of age as a male having been born in the 1950's and coming of age in the 1960's.One of my favorite hangouts was the neighborhood drugstore which indeed had the proverbial malt shop counter! On the magazine racks were Palyboy,Stag,Battlecry,Modern Man Quarterly,Saga and true adventures ,et al.These were what Dr. Humphreys had mentioned was an era of confused masculinity.I viewed yes, the Playboy nudes ,but the other men's mags were strange blending blood,guts and sex in a strange stew.Perhaps they were appealing to men who's military career had not been too eventful.They encouraged a kind of fantasy dream world which held on to a world of tough guys ,boozing brawling and carousing! I was trying to process this as a teen all the while Vietnam was escalating.The news portrayed a different picture .At first support and then criticism.Thus, in 1967 an important year in Moorman's career a strange patriotic single appreared by Victor Lundeberg: An Open Letter to My Teenage Son.The last lyrics were very true to form: ..."If you are not grateful to a country that gave your father theOpportunity to work for his family to give you the things you have and you
ReplyDeleteDo not feel pride enough to fight for your right to continue in thisManner than I assume the blame for your failure to recognize the true
Value of our birthright. And I will remind you that your mother will love
You no matter what you do, because she is a woman. And I love you too,
Son. But I also love our country and the principles for which we stand.
And if you decide to burn your draft card, then burn your birth
Certificate at the same time.
From that moment on, I have no son! Whew! And then 1968's democratic convention ,2001: A Space Odyssey premiered,The Moon Landing,the riots ,Jane Fonda's visit to my undergraduate school in 1972 and my decision to grow my hair long.This was a new paradigm .My parents couldn't understand it but I did.I was young and living through it.Thankfully, my grandfather's( a WW 1 Navy vet) untimely death in November 1972, kept me out of Vietnam.Sorry for my long post, but I went through this transitional era.It was very confusing at the time.However, I am beginning to understand it!
thanks for sharing my parents were born in the 60's. I wish my grandparents were stil alive so I could ask them a few things specially my grandfather who raised he was always open and often spoke about the army (he was drafted for the Korean war)
DeleteIt kind of makes more sense to me now cause being raised by my grandparents in a way was hard where other girls could go out and do stuff my grandfather was VERY strict with me I felt like I couldnt go anywhere and I remember when I was 19 I stayed out real late and when I got home he said "do you think you have a stick and berries, your a lady you should NOT be out that late!" i chuckled but he didnt think it was funny :o)
DeleteThank you for sharing, David. I wish I had more life experience so I could place Moorman better in my own history. I know the 60's were a stepping stone to how I grew up, but It is hard for me to keep track of the timeline of events and movements.
DeleteAnd those lyrics! My goodness.
Courtney, Yes they were indeed riveting! People were coming out of the 1950's with naive enthusiasm ,that somehow the world would be a better place, the Great Society et al; and then the assassinations of JFK,MLK,RFK;As a teen I was trying to sort this all out;we all were.It was indeed confusing and yet art helped me get through it in a strange way!
DeleteMovies too had this male fantasy world of helpless women .One particularly awful and campy sci fi flick was "Fire Maidens from Outer Space". A group of British, yes British astronauts ,explore a world of sexually charged females who welcome their visit.Their monster leader is the male who needs to be defeated by the astronauts.They ultimately jet away in a V2 rocket(nobody would have known the difference).The background music plays Stranger's in Paradise, based on Borodin's Polovtsian Dances of the Maidens, very popular in the UK.So, here is your blood,guts,sex ( the 1956 version) version of the men's magazine on the big screen.There were others endlessly replayed for my young eyes to see and process!
ReplyDeleteDavid - thats interesting! Thanks for sharing!
DeleteYou are welcome!
Delete'What you have done here is shit!' People do not usually come to a concert expecting to be board....Five hours...delays because of technical failures...dead, repetitious, and meaningless
ReplyDeleteAs founding president of box 13 artspace, a nonprofit art exhibition space for experimental art, all i can say is i saw a lot of bad art with the claim to be experimental. and the curators from the CAMH and Menil would swing by and admire the emperor's new clothes. But frankly a lot of crap passed through our space with only a sliver of anything I could label as either truly experimental, avant-garde or as art.
in the experimental there is a lot of room for things to go wrong and if the works are so rehearsed embraced codified then are they no longer experimental?? does experimental or in the case of charlotte/paik avant garde, really mean that poor use of materials (technical difficulty) is inherent to the work. Cage engaged the experimental, but i don't recall any critic notation of technical difficulty? Cunningham also engaged the experimental. perhaps the experimental isn't liked but should this equate to technical difficulties? i am over latching on to the single phrase from pg 152...I know. but I get a sense from other things the author has written, that things did tend to go wrong.
what is art?
what is the function of art?
i think i have come to believe in terms of art's function, that it is not the art itself that matters, but that society has the outlet in having some of its members push the edges of convention (since a lot of conventions no longer function or are arbitrary or oppressive). in other words the artifact isn't so much what is needed by that populations have some free radicals.
so if art has a primary function that is sociological, does the form and the immediate experience REALLY matter?
for me personally though i can grasp conceptual experimental work, bad craft is bad craft...i need a melding of craft that fits the concept (of course this may be a convention certain art forms might buck (dada) for its logic and rationality).
and everything in the social sciences exclaim were are creatures of habit, so the new, until we embody it, clashes with habits of mind, body and social dynamics. we are creatures of habit. it seems only on the heals of wars and devastation is their a window for cultural shifts. change is painful no matter how much someone claims to embrace it. change is unpredictable. the trickle down and consequences cannot be full predicted. who could have guessed that posting to facebook wall would replace graffiti on the bathroom wall? (my theory as to why there is hardly any writing on the walls of gas station and restaurant bathroom walls.). so experimental, new, different, require adjustment until they are not new, not different, not experimental.
art is weird, messy, etc...
and i am going to stick with arts purpose being a social function and not a function located within an individual work itself.
now, i need art to function at a local level...i need it to generate some kind of aesthetic pleasure within me--conceptually, formally, and/or craft wise). i need art that will engage me, even challenge me, cognitive, perceptually and/or spiritually. i need art to do something more than expressing "technical difficulties."
i think my biggest issue with moorman has nothing to do with her avant grade moves, her personality, etc, but is simply a function that perceptually I am hyper sensitive aurally, and therefore prefer quiet. so moor man's foray into explorations of sound, would just bug the hell out of me neurologically, like nails down a chalkboard.
ramble.ramble. ramble.
I love your last statement Katharine! I too prefer quiet - it is nails on a chalkboard. lol!
DeleteKatharine,I found Moorman's philosophy(p.211) of bringing advanced art to the wider public via TV interesting as we don't think twice in putting something now on social media.She was ahead of her time in this regard even as the biographer had said Johnny Carsen and his auduience found it comical in their misunderstanding .Yet, even Moorman did not understand Paik's art: " they won't understand Paik for 60 years"French sociologist Regis Debray has an interesting quote:..." but universal art does not exist.The idea amounts to a desperate religion trying to fill the postmodern hollow of the soul yearning for unity.Art can only be semantic,vernacular,local.Global culture is only a fetish,nothing more than a totem without a tribe,thus lacking virtue,thus lacking value."
Deleteplus, I have the attention span equivalent to that of a mayfly fluttering down the I-10 interstate in houston during rush hour. four or five hours (even three or two) of anything with my bum plunked down in a single location may be my worse nightmare. combine that with grating and punctuated cacophony of aural interventions and i most assuredly will think i have been cast in to the lake of fire and soon will be gnashing my teeth.
ReplyDeletei find moorman of interest only from the silent distance of time and her textual fixity upon the page with the only aural interruption the graceful flutter of the turning page.
as I read about Moorman's performance of Yoko Ono's cut piece, many things come to mind.
ReplyDeleteYoko ONo's flux piece seems most relevant the first time it was performed when the viewers would not be influenced by knowledge of previous performances of it and the audiences response. For me this piece in terms of its original intent would only be realized within the context of an unknowledgeable audience. so that Yoko Ono's reenactment of the work years later would actually function totally differently.
And so then can Moorman perform this piece in light of Yoko Ono's intention? Was it new to the german audience? and could Moorman, based on her personality, even remotely approach the piece along the lines for which it was created? does this matter? i don't get the impression that yoko ono used or promoted nudity for shock value, but always with some deeper intent. whereas i see (according to Paik) Moorman using it to mask what she considered musical deficits?
i have a harder time with nudity used as spectacle to mask what is lacking (be it technical or conceptual).
female nudity in art by female artists that is conceptual or aesthetically driven has a logic to me. ah. there is that ugly convention of logic surfacing in me again. but generallY I will hold to this need for conceptual or aesthetic drive inlui of spectacle because for me that is just a catering to the male gaze. of course perhaps undercurrent conventions all female nudity may generally cater to the male gaze, soooo maybe my logic that pooh pooh's the spectacle is faulty...
nudity schmudity. i am generally not attracted to the spectacle, to spectatorial events. i prefer to be doing, producing versus active or passive vicarious spectation. and i try to not judge, but i do. and i am absolutely sure that it is hypocritical based on my netflix binging and the selection of what is streaming across my screen...i shall neither confirm nor deny a prepensity to watch the walking dead, criminal minds, dexter, and other crapola.
I still don’t see her nudity as a form of empowerment or that she used it for that motivation but chose it for breaking past vulnerability in her work and I agree with you Kathryn – it did mask her insecurities in her work. I think it was a part of her process of making art about art – maybe playing the action music became more “artful” way of expression nude.
Deletei try not to judge either as for myself i dont feel the need to show nudity in my art but when i view others art it wouldnt bother me either way. the more i read the more i feel that moorman was more of a tool in her art than her own 100% self. i feel she loved her art and would do anything to do more of it or be different but she allowed paik to always tell her what to do. I wonder what would she have done if he just left?
DeleteI am certainly interested in her performances of 'Cut Piece', Ono even wrote out how 'Cut Piece' may be performed (and artists have done it across the world). I think this is about 'performativity' and all that it may entail, and what Paik guided her to do. Candice I too though what she would have done without Paik at that time... In part though I think when performing her body became as much a tool as her cello... Paik though, as Moorman herself states, was the maestro.
DeleteOne other note that has registered with me is Charlotte's sense of mission. The ability to define a mission with in her work impresses me – to bring music to the masses. I was reading the WSJ this weekend and reading about an artist, Paula Hayes. (WSJ Magazine, 10,10,15, by Carol Kino) She created garden art that has been seen in several homes in the NYC area, shown and exhibits in MOMA. She created a mission for her conceptual art pieces; “my garden art’s true goal is creating a global “tribe of caregivers”. I found this mission motivates their research and passion. Do any of y’all have an overall mission with your work? Or that connects your motivation to your research?
ReplyDelete" ...Why is sex a predominant theme in art and literature prohibited ONLY in music? How long can New Music afford to be sixty years behind the times and still claim to be serious art? The purge of sex under under the excuse of being "serious" exactly under-ranking with literature and painting. Music history needs its D.H Lawrence its Sigmund Freud..." The book also follows with "As much as Paik was joking here, he was also serious." Ironically I was kind of thinking this before I got to this page. We call music art but hold it to a different standard. I am kind of confused how to feel about sexuality at this time because the city seemed to pick and choice who they would prosecute and who they would just leave alone and let be topless here and there. In a way I feel bad for Charlotte because she had been doing this for a while now even internationally. I did get a good laugh at her trying to even perform for the Pope (wow Paik what a GREAT idea smh). I also feel bad for her because of how some people would laugh at her performances. I kind of wish they would have performed behind a curtain at first to let the audience just concentrate on the music the sounds before they brought in the visual part of the performance... I wonder if that would have helped at all?
ReplyDeleteCandice,
DeleteI am preparing a panel paper on aesthetics .I ran across this quote which seems to somewhat define our current paradigm:"The end of polytheism of the ancients reveals features that are not unrelated to our own Christian millennium.Huge cities;a growing demand for entertainment;a passion for games,for spectacles,for the unusual;a fusion of the masculine and feminine worlds;the personification of animals and of nature;the worship of childhood;the cult of novelty,of change,of excitement;and eroticism permeating all aspects of life."Whew!
That's an excellent question - my instinct was to say passion. But as a musician and as I know many as well they are incredibly passionate. I know that you can even get excited while playing there is something with the brain chemistry. I fell in love with my husband when he played and sang for me. I still love love love his musical talents. Our mutual attraction to music brought us together.
DeleteMaybe you can;t be naked while playing becuase the person manupulating the instrument isn't really there you know. The art is the sound and the artist is the instrument. We a merely holding the darn thing up.
Like theater there is an extra step to music. Who's really the creator? And do creators have genitals?
Moorman's experience in jail had ME sad. She wrote, "to express my sadness that [all my] years of work and devotion to my art have been soiled by this ugly experience."
ReplyDeleteI know that her mission is about the Avante Garde, and not necessarily the non-art people. Its just so far from why I make art, I feel she had a lost opportunity. I want my art to connect with others--the every day person. I feel like that how I make change and movement. That her fellow inmates didn't know what a cello was... provides opportunity, to me... not "declasse."
That section also really got to me too. Her belief that her art would rise above and be clear to the judge was, I feel, sincere. I could only think how disappointing it was for her that the judge instead wanted to make her an example. But there was indeed an opportunity to do something about it, and in part she did with all TV rounds she made. Yet, I too felt she could have done more, been more concise, given viewers means of accessing and understanding the avant-garde on their own - this though would have gone against her aversion to defining... She could have done, almost, a "personal sale" of the avant-garde with the other women in the jail - or at least thought about how to relate more to those outside the art community... (maybe that's where TV came in though?) hmmm....
DeleteSo while reading this book and trying to understand Moorman's aims, work, and legacy - I keep thinking about how she worked within and through a patriarchal system. I have mentioned it before, but I am really interested in it still, that Moorman was doing work that a lot of women would not have done, but she also hid behind her own gender and her male collaborator instead of owning her own work and input. I still feel this is a fear, in part fear of power that comes with owning oneself (identity). I think this idea and fear remains to hold weight, we may unintentionally be used and vise versa by our gender, but it doesn't have to be that way (though I think a lot of it is unintentional, or rather I hope it is). In taking and acknowledging ourselves we realize we may be alone, but stronger for being honest with what do and who we are; Moorman's fear appears to stem from this desire to not be alone, because taking that ownership means your only shield is yourself....but then again, maybe it occurred because it was seemingly easier...
ReplyDelete